Are you a certified driving instructor?
Advance Driving Academy has full time and part time employment opportunities for certified driving instructors. We are committed to building a team of driving instructors that value our philosophy of creating confident, competent drivers. If you are interested in learning more about opportunities with our company, please complete the employment application, bring it to the main office in Owings Mills or click here to email it to us and a member of our team will contact you to share more information about our company.
The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration requires that all new driving instructors go through a six month apprenticeship program to become a certified driving instructor in the State of Maryland. There are several steps in this process. To start, you must be associated with a driving school. If you are interested in starting the process with ADA, please complete the application above or contact the school directly. The instructor eligibility requirements are:
- Be at least 21 years of age or older;
- Possess a high school certificate of graduation or its equivalent – You may not use a transcript as a proof of your degree, unless it states that a degree was awarded; and,
- Have a valid driver’s license issued by Maryland, or another state, to drive the class of vehicle you will be using in the program.
- If you have not lived in Maryland for at least one (1) year, you must also provide a certified copy of your driving record for at least the last three (3) years, and the results of a criminal background check from your previous home state/country.
Once you are hired by a driving school, you will need to complete a certification application package for the Apprentice License, become familiar with the Code of Maryland Regulation (COMAR), observe and practice teaching both classroom and basic driver instruction. This package can be obtained from the MVA, Driver Education Services Department or from the driving school. This package includes:
- An Application and Fee
- Copy of Driving record for three (3) years
- Criminal Background Check
- Copy of High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Letter stating there is no medical reason that would restrict teaching ability
The MVA will review your application materials to verify that everything is complete. Then you will be scheduled to come into the Driver Instructional Services Division office located in the Glen Burnie MVA office to complete a 3 part evaluation.
- Written Exam covering information in the COMAR document
- Teaching Skills evaluation to demonstrate competency and proficiency in teaching
- Basic driver instruction skills evaluation to demonstrate driving ability and teaching proficiency in the car
After successfully completing the evaluation you will be given an Apprentice License and can begin driving instruction. Before this point an applicant is not allowed to teach courses. If you have five (5) or more points on your Maryland driver record, or if you were convicted of a violation in another state that would have resulted in five points in Maryland, you will be disqualified. Also, if you have been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude you will be disqualified.
For more detailed information, please refer to Code of Maryland Regulations.